- Property TypeHouse
- Garage Spaces2
- Land Size1047m2
- Energy Rating1.5
19 Beagle Street,Red Hill
19 Beagle Street, Red Hill ACT, Australia
19 Beagle Street Red Hill was built in 1962 and was the long-term residence of Sir Nick Parkinson – former secretary of the Department of Foreign Affairs, and one-time Australian Ambassador to Washington – and his family.
Standing high on a block abutted by a public paddock to the west, the house was architecturally distinctive for its day. It was designed to stand due north to take maximum advantage of the light in the winter months and, with its open living spaces and doors onto a verandah that ran the length of the house, to maximise summer breeze.
Extensively renovated and remodelled in 2006 the home now lends itself perfectly to modern day living.
In 1997 Lenore Taylor and Paul Daley purchased the house. They are well-known in Canberra as journalists and authors, both having worked across several decades as multi-award winning political correspondents for major Australian newspapers in the federal parliamentary press gallery. Lenore is now editor-in-chief of `Guardian Australia’. Paul is an essayist, playwright, journalist and novelist whose work has been shortlisted in major Australian literary awards. He’s the author of seven books – including `Canberra’, an acclaimed literary meditation on the city he came to love after moving there in 1994.
What the owners loved about the house
”We had great times there – raised three children in it. We still miss it – the beautiful light and the trees, and the cockatoos and kookaburras. We loved its proximity to the bush of Red Hill Reserve where we’d wander every day with our dogs. It has the most beautiful magnolia in the front yard that we preserved and highlighted with the renovation. It blooms magnificently at the beginning of every spring. We were very sad to leave it. If we’d stayed in Canberra instead of moving to Sydney a few years ago for work reasons, we’d still be there.”
– 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms
– Renovated and remodeled in 2006
– Heated pool
– Solid hardwood flooring
– Expansive sun filled void upon entry
– Downstairs Family room with terrace and pool access
– Large north facing Study/library
– Downstairs bedroom with external access and separate Bathroom
– Two underground storage rooms, suitable for wine cellar
– North facing Living room with deck and views to the city and Mt Ainslie
– Fireplace with custom seating and storage
– High ceilings with vaulted skylights letting in natural light
– Kitchen with stone benchtops with high quality appliances and soft close drawers
– Separate Dining area with outdoor access to patio and rear gardens
– Master & 2 bedrooms all with BIRs and renovated Main Bathroom
– Ducted heating throughout
– Established gardens with extensive manicured hedging
– Two water tanks, 5000L & 4000L
– Land Size 1047m2, Internal 278m2, Rates $5348pa, Land Tax $8966pa (If rented)